Monday, September 19, 2011

Birthday

I left off last night before going to dinner at Sabah: Mayasian cuisine. We ordered chicken curry, rice, mango salad, and spring rolls. I had to let mom principally order since Thomas wanted to play with the menu. I probably would have ordered one more item to round out the meal. The chicken curry was okay but the chicken was on the bone and mostly bone. The spring rolls were bland. The mango salad was good. Grama didn't care for the meal and John wasn't hungry so it was mainly mom and I eating. So much for that meal.

This morning we met Helen who brought our laundry that had been sent out for cleaning. She also brought the chops that John had engraved to go with the calligraphy set he had bought. We headed back to Shamian island and the medical clinic to get Thomas' PPD checked. Thomas didn't want to go back in but he got some more candy and his PPD was non reactive, which I already knew. Thomas has also developed a rash on his face and itching the last couple of days and Helen wanted to check with one of the doctors. I didn't want to be rude and say no. He said the same thing I already was thinking. He may be reacting to sizing in his new clothes, the laundry detergent mom used to wash some of his clothes or some of the new foods he has been getting this week. I'll have to figure it out. Luckily, I brought some loratidine because I've been having hives the last few weeks, probably stress or my new laundry detergent. I gave him some and it has helped with the itching.

We then headed to a shop catering to adoptive families on the island and bought some gifts. Then back to Carrefours to buy some more diapers and back to the hotel.

A couple of major tantrums today. First, before nap time, Thomas was getting cranky and frustrated playing with the stools in the room and not getting them to move the way he wanted. I had him come sit in my lap and I took off his shoes. Well, he did not want his shoes off. Kicking and wailing until he fell asleep. The second was before dinner when he was banging his toy against the desk and I told John to take his toy away. Kicking and wailing for about 20 minutes. Whew.

As an aside, HBO Asia is a season behind and censored here in China. No nudity.

My birthday dinner was supposed to be a surprise. Technically, I was surprised, but at the wrong time. After Thomas' nap and snack we all went to Starbucks for coffee. While we sat and drank our coffee I mentioned that I wanted to go around the corner and check out the Italian restaurant. We were standing in front of the restaurant, I was hungry, and was about to see if I could look at a menu when John said he wasn't hungry. I got mad, said something to the effect that I couldn't even choose what I wanted for dinner on my birthday and called John a name. When we got back to the hotel, John told me the whole scheme. Mom had mentioned to Helen that today was my birthday and I felt bad for getting mad at John since he was just keeping the plan together.

At 6 pm we met Helen in the lobby and we walked up a block to the same building as the restaurant we had Cantonese dinner the other night. Helen led us up the alley to a different entrance to what looked like a hotel and then to the elevator and up to the third floor. To the left, was a regular dining room and to the right were doors each leading to private rooms. Helen took us into the first private dining room  and on the table was a birthday cake. This was very cool. Helen had already arranged our menu. We had sliced pork, fried rice with shrimp, steamed eggplant with ginger, fried fish cakes, sliced spicy beef, and bean curd. It was all excellent. Thomas loves bean curd. He ate four bean curd cakes and two fish cakes.

It's amazing he fit it all in his tummy. I received some gifts. As I never gave John any Chinese money, he couldn't give me a gift. I got an embroidered handkerchief from Helen. I got bone earrings and a hair clip from mom, and a jewelry box from grama. After dinner we had the cake which had on top sliced peaches, lychees and grapes. The icing had a bit of a marshmallow flavor and the sponge cake was light with a tropical fruit filling and chocolate shavings. I thanked Helen for her kindness. We returned to the hotel and on the desk was another treat courtesy of the hotel and arranged by Helen. It turned out to be a great birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment